Thursday, October 15, 2015

Blog for Week 10-14-15 A Year and A Day by Leslie Pietrzyk

A Year and A Day
By: Leslie Pietrzyk
Prompts: What is the mood of what you’re reading (happy, sad, funny, serious, etc.)?
Defend your idea.
What emotions do you feel about your reading? Describe what is going on in the reading that makes you feel that way.
Pages from 0-240 Reading


   The book I am currently reading is A Year and A Day by Leslie Pietrzyk. Alice's mom killed herself, and she must figure out how to manage without guidance, support, and her mother’s famous cooking that comforts her in her darkest hours. Even though she has a brother, he slowly breaks away from her. She hears her mother’s voice when she doesn't want it and needs it when it isn't there. To become comforted she seeks help from different people and finds out secrets from her mother’s past.


   When I was reading this book the mood was sad. The main character’s mom died so she is grieving over the loss. This girl is feeling like her whole world just ended and she has to go through her awkward teenage years alone. For example Alice, the main character, is found thinking about dying herself. She is wondering what it felt like to be in total control with life and death. Sitting in her car on the train tracks just like her mother did, she thinks about throwing her keys out the window and waiting. As she thinks about this her brother comes up and tells her to get off the tracks with a train coming her way. This was a very powerful moment in the book because it shows how depressed and sad she really is, despite what she tells everybody.


   When I was reading this book, the emotions I felt were wonder, sadness, and that I am very fortunate. In the book the girl’s mother dies so I am very fortunate that I have a mother that is alive and well. In the story when the girl talks about her mother’s death while sitting on the train tracks, I wonder why she killed herself. The mother had two children and no husband, so why leave the kids by themselves? This boggles my mind, I wonder if she felt guilty about her past and wasn't thinking straight when she did it. While reading the book I wonder about all of that. The author did an amazing job of making you feel sad for the main characters loss. In the story when the girl is looking for her mother’s cookbooks for Thanksgiving, she goes through a meltdown because she can't find them. While reading this I feel so sad for her and want to comfort her because of how the author made her feel.

6 comments:

  1. I really like this book and the message it's giving off with the whole depressed effect. You did a really good job explaining the book. I now have to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me think about the main character Alice. She seems to be really sad and determined to find out her mom's past. When I was reading your blog I was wondering how Alice makes survives. You did a really good job on explaining how you felt and why. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Sofia! You explained well and added some descriptive words without using the old boring words ( Bad, nice, etc.). I love it how you expressed your feelings, along with how it made you feel during certain events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you explained how you felt at specific moments in the book and how you were asking questions in the last paragraph. I really want to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog Sofia, this book sound great. You explained the book and your moods very well and kind want to read the book, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! I think you did a great job on explaining the emotions and how the character feels throughout the book.

    ReplyDelete