Thursday, May 19, 2016

Of Mice and Men Movie Reflection


Section 1-

         The director made the "incident in weed" different from in the book because he actually shows us what is happening instead of George just telling Lennie and Slim what happened. There is an actual scene that shows what happens. Also is shows that they run in a field, this is not described in the book. I think he chose to do it this way because we can understand what is happening instead of inferring the events that it made. We see exactly the scene and who the people looked like, which can give the viewers a better understanding. He could have also added this scene because it adds more time to the movie. The reason that he would need extra time was that novella was very short so if he just did every scene word by word, then the movie would be very short. This changes the story because it shows what George and Lennie came from. It makes the story more understanding by showing the exact moments that occur that make them end up at the ranch.

         The director had the first scene be George on a train because it indicates that the story following it is a flashback or memory. He could have been showing that George was by himself. This could have been a clue as to what is going to happen in the future. By doing this he was telling us that George's life would not include anyone else. Also that he is alone and he has a troublesome history that he needs to contemplate. The train sort of symbolizes him moving on, physically and mentally.

        I think that the director's choice to have Sharilynn Fenn play Curley's wife was a decent decision. I feel like she fitted Curley's wife. I imagined her to be more flirtatious and to have more makeup on. Her dress was too plain because I thought that it would be more extravagant. In the movie I thought that she should have used her body more to get the mens attention. This would have showed that she was flirtatious on another level. I would have chosen Anne Hathaway to play Curley's wife. I would have chosen her because I imagined her to be brunette and with a big smile. I feel like she could have been a movie star in the 30s like Curley's wife. Also she would be taller than Curley which would emphasize Curley's shortness.

   Section 4-    

        My general thoughts, feelings, and reactions of Of Mice and Men is that it was a phenomenal novella. It made me feel sorry, angry, and hopeful for different characters. I was on the edge of my seat on some parts of it. The novella had a deep meaning to it that once you found it out, you were given a bunch of feelings. The thing that had the most impact on me was that it showed how back then everyone was on their own. This makes me think that now people are much closer and have more people they can rely on. I feel lucky that this time period shows that friendship is common and suspected of people. I would recommend this book to people who can see the meaning that is below the surface. If someone who doesn't deeply think about the events in a book, then they wouldn't know the true meaning of it. I wouldn't recommend this book to young children because they wouldn't be mature enough to read the parts that are meant for adults. They also wouldn't understand it.





No comments:

Post a Comment