Sunday, March 13, 2016

Poetry Reflection Blog



          Poetry has a minor impact in my life. When I create poetry I don't find it very inspirational or beneficial to me. Although, sometimes when I read it, I start to how understand how people feel certain ways. For example when I read some of the people in my class's poems I started to see how they really feel instead of the wall that they put up. Another thing that poetry does for me is make me think in different ways. An example of this is in the poem, "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost, it makes me think that nothing is permanent and that anything can change. I wouldn't have thought of this if I never read this poem. Overall, poetry doesn't affect me a lot, but in some ways it can help me.

        Poetry does belong to everyone. I know this because poetry is more of a feeling than a writing style. Everyone has feelings so everyone can have poetry too. When you write poetry you are expressing your ideas and feelings in a way that people would be able to understand. If you can write down or express these thoughts then you deserve the right for everyone to see them. This can also give people a sense of relief if they express somethings that they might not have expressed before.

        The life and experiences of a poet affects the poem he or she creates in different ways. The poet can have a hard childhood and then express it in their poem. For example Edgar Allen Poe, his childhood was very rough and his poems were considered dark and creepy. This shows that his childhood was negative so his poems were negative too. Different experiences could affect a poet poem too. An example of this is in the book Bronx Masquerade, the character Chankara Troupe. She was hit by her boyfriend and in her poem she talks about it. 

        
This is a poem I read, it is by anonymous. 


         A poem's form and structure contribute to it's meaning in a few ways. One way is that if it it has the form of a image from the poem, then the reader could get a visual of what the poem is talking about. You can visually see what the poet is trying to express. An example of this is in the poem above. The poet is talking about a tree and the poem is in the form of a tree. This contributes to the meaning because now the reader can fully grasp the content that the poet is trying to express. The structure of the poem could also contribute to the meaning of the poem too. If there is a certain way the poem is being written again and again, then the poet is trying to get something across. For example, in my poem below the words "If" and "I" are repeated in each stanza. This contributes to the meaning of the poem because every stanza talks about the same thing just different examples. By doing this the meaning is being repeated over and over again. 

"If" Poem

If I were to speak
my own opinions
loud and clear
would you cheer?

If I came with confidence
and honor,
uplifting a flag
would you taunt me?

If I saw the beauties of the world
each masterpiece
natural, and by the hands of man
would you take it away from me?

If I sang with beauty
and melody
causing tears
would you jeer?
Or would you sing with me?
I wonder

        Words/phrases, rhyme, alliteration, repetition, and figurative language have an impact on poems.  Words and phrases impact poems because it is the way readers understand what the poem is. If there wasn't words or phrases then people wouldn't understand what the poet is trying to say. Rhyme impacts poems because it gives the poem rhythm and tempo. For example, there is rhyme in my "If" poem. Alliteration impacts the poem because it can add humor or give examples. The poem of the tree above shows this when it says "bark, branches".  Repetition impacts poems because it gets the point across. An example of this is in my "If" poem, the words "If" and "I" are repeated so it makes the point of the poem clearer. Figurative language impacts poems because it makes it more vivid either with adding imagery, metaphors, etc. An example of using imagery is in my poem, when it says "and by the hands of man". This makes it sound more animated. 



No comments:

Post a Comment